St. Mark’s Orthodox Fellowship (SMOF)
Holy Apostles Fast- Retreat
July 1-3, 2005
At the Dormition of the Mother of God Monastery
3389 Rives Eaton Rd,
Rives Junction MI 49277
Friday, July 1: Arrive late afternoon – night
· If you arrive before 6 PM, please inform the Monastery so they can prepare dinner for you (dinner is around 6 PM)
· If you arrive later, go to the retreat house on your right hand side. You will find your room number assignment.
· 5 PM - You can join the Church service (9th Hour, Vespers, Compline) if you wish. Or you can settle in, stay in the retreat house, or take a walk on the grounds of the monastery.
· 9:00 PM, assemble at the conference room (retreat house) for fellowship, followed by the 12th hour prayer (Coptic Agbeya)
· If you will arrive very late, please let the Monastery know.
Saturday, July 2:
· 6:30-9:00 AM – You can join the Church services for Matins, 1st, 3rd, 6th hour, and Akathist (Theotokia in Coptic) – some of the prayers and chanting are in Romanian; most are in English
· Those who stay at the retreat house, gather at 8:00 AM for the 1st, 3d, and 6th hour prayers (Agbeya)
· 9:00-11:30 AM - Divine Liturgy in the Church
· 11:30 AM (bells will ring) Lunch in the dining room
· 1:00-4:00 PM - Retreat talks by Fr. Roman (abbot) and Rev. Mother Gabriella (Abbeys) on “Serving the Lord”
· 4:00-5:00 General discussion
· 5:00 PM – Dinner
· 6:00-9:30 PM Church Vigil service (Vespers, Matins)
o Attend the Church as much as you wish, or take a walk on the grounds
o SMOF will have a meeting 6-7:30 at the Retreat House.
· 9:00PM 12th hour prayer (Agbeya) at the retreat conference room
Sunday July 3:
· 9:00 AM Matins prayer (Agpeya)
· 10:00-12 AM – Free time for meditation/ Follow up discussions Re. service and SMOF
· Departure anytime after lunch.
The space is limited, so we ask members to reserve soon by sending their registration using the attached Response Card. A registration of $100 is suggested for each person as a donation to the Monastery to help cover the expenses for our stay. Please reserve by contacting SMOF, PO BOX 6192, Columbia, MD 21045. Members who live close, and like to drive back and forth are welcome. They need to register also. Suggested donation in this case (Saturday only) is $ 20.
The Dormition monastery was founded in 1987 and is located in south central Michigan. It serves as a haven of spiritual retreat from the stress of the secular world; a place for spiritual guidance and growth. The foundation of this monastery represents the unity of Orthodox Christianity and faith and its continuity in this land. We hope and pray that this holy place will continue to grow, reaching the heights of all spiritual understanding.
The monastery welcomes groups who desire to come to the monastery for retreats. We do not organize any retreats but are happy to provide the space and the assistance to groups who wish to organize the retreat at the monastery.
Our facilities include a 20 bed guest house with a spacious conference room. For summer retreats we have a large outdoor pavilion. Group retreats are limited to groups associated with the Orthodox Church and this is subject to available space.
The monastery is not a weekend get away for the public at large, but a place that serves the spiritual needs of the Orthodox Christian community in the United States. Visitors to the Monastery are expected to participate in the services and observe the schedule of the monastic community.
For further information, look at the Monastery web site.
Directions: The Monastery is about 1 hour away from Detroit Michigan, and 3 hours away from Chicago.
From East or West
Take I-94 toward Jackson. Take exit 138 (Route 127 north) toward Lansing. Take Berry Road exit. At end of exit ramp, turn left. Berry Rd dead ends into Rives Eaton Rd -- turn right at the stop sign. The Monastery is 1/4 of a mile down the road on the left hand side.
From the South
Take Route 127 North or 50 North to I-94. Take I-94 toward Jackson. Take exit 138 (Route 127 north) toward Lansing. Take Berry Road exit. At end of exit ramp, turn left. Berry Rd dead ends into Rives Eaton Rd -- turn right at the stop sign. The Monastery is 1/4 of a mile down the road on the left hand side.
From the North
Take Route 127 south to Berry Road exit. At end of exit ramp, turn right. Berry Rd dead ends into Rives Eaton Rd -- turn right at the stop sign. The Monastery is 1/4 of a mile down the road on the left hand side.